Saturday, February 12, 2011

Another "Kings Of Comedy" ?

Walter Latham couldn’t have predicted how a “Kings of Comedy" sequel would come about, since neither Facebook nor Twitter was around when he produced "The Original Kings of Comedy” tour and hit film over a decade ago.

Now 40, with another standup film on tap, Latham needs your help to choose the next generation of kings worthy to wear the comedy crown.

Following the late, great Bernie Mac, Cedric The Entertainer, D.L. Hughley and Steve Harvey would be difficult on any stage, but on the big screen, it’s a truly daunting challenge. So Latham wants the people’s help. He’s hoping to gain a million followers on Facebook and Twitter to use the power to social media to select the four men who will represent the next generation of comedy on the big screen.

Here’s a portion of our exclusive interview with "The Original Kings of Comedy” creator Walter Latham.


BLACKAMERICAWEB.COM: What made you decide to go the social media route to choose the new kings of comedy?

WALTER LATHAM: We’re doing it differently because times have changed because of social media. When the studio asked me if we wanted to do it, my initial reaction was no. But then I thought, "What if we called it 'Kings: The Next Generation?” There’s definitely people funny enough that can be the next generation, so let me ask the people who they want to see. I started a Twitter and Facebook campaign, and once I get to a million total followers, we’ll make that movie. You can vote for your choice on Twitter @lathament or on the official Facebook voting page.


So, what has been the response thus far?
It went berserk. We have like 2,000 followers now, but the response is crazy. No one has said Steve, Cedric or D.L., and no one has said, "You shouldn’t do that." I don’t know if the followers are just younger or their loyalty is just with these younger guys. No one is saying don’t do it. Everyone wants to see it happen.


Who do the people want to see?

The name getting the most recognition is Kevin Hart because he’s hot right now. Then its Mike Epps and Katt Williams; after that, it’s Rickey Smiley, Bruce Bruce and Earthquake.  That’s probably the next generation because they're not at the stature of the original guys just yet, but they’re on the way.


What made you do "The Original Kings of Comedy?”

In 1997, I said I wanted to do a tour in arenas. At the time, the people I was in touch with were Chris Tucker and Bernie Mac. Only three people would take the chance with me - Steve, Cedric and Bernie. We did 49 shows, and they were all in big, big buildings. I saw the way people were responding, and I’d never seen anything like it. It was almost like a cookout or a family reunion. It was crazy, and I was like, "We can make a movie about this."

At that time, I went to studios, and they were like,"We don’t know who they are, and concert films don’t do that well." We add D.L. to the tour, and we’re breaking records everywhere - three Verizon Centers (in D.C.) two Madison Square Gardens. I go out again, and no studio wants to make this movie. I put up half of my own money, and MTV saw the show at MSG, and we got that movie made. But it took two years and my money!




It's pretty amazing that it was so hard to get made, despite the success you were having around the country
When we first tried to make it happen, Steve had a TV show. I would go into a white [studio] executive’s office on the lot, and they’re like, "Who?" If I go to execs in Hollywood, and you’re Kevin Hart, and you’re selling out shows, and you have a little show on Comedy Central ... when I try to get movies made, they don’t know you. It’s easier now because they actually asked me this time, but it’s still hard to get a movie made when you have black talent. The first thing they say is the movie might do good in America, but it will never do any business overseas. But when our stuff gets made and goes overseas, it does exceptionally well.


So, are you personally pulling for anyone to make “Kings of Comedy: The Next Generation?”

I’m not rooting for anyone. I’m not even playing that game. I’m just looking forward to seeing what the people say

No comments:

Post a Comment